Sunday, February 3, 2008

Redefining Abundance

Abundance...it is a word that can bring many things to mind. Today we have an abundance of snow, we got about 6 inches last night. That is not what I am talking about though. Last night we attend the Saturday night service at our church. Our senior pastor retired a few years ago, he still works through the church on missions projects. He spoke last night. Everytime I hear him speak he touches my heart, so this post is not completely inspired by me. He talked about having an abundant life. Like most of us, when I think of abundance, I think of things. It is so easy to get wrapped up in having enough things, enough food, enough stuff. Often that is the very thing that gets in the way of us having an abundant life. One that is full of joy and fulfillment. Today I decided that I would focus on my life and really see if it is average or abundant. I have decided that it is abundant. God has given me everything that I need. I spent the morning walking in the snow with my son, I came home and we built a snowman and fed the birds, I danced with my daughter, and now I am sitting on the couch writing this and watching the super bowl. All of that may see really simple but it is what life is about. Spending time with the ones that we love, investing in people rather than stuff. God wants us to live an abundant life. One that is full of faith and joy and love. I am not talking about being happy but truly being joyful, that is being able to rejoice even when things stink. God never promised that our lives would be perfect only that we would be held when things go wrong. Let's face it if things never went wrong we wouldn't even think about God....our human nature would take over and we would think we had everything under control...we do that even when things do go wrong. So for all of you out there reading this (or the two of you) I hope that you to find that you have an abundant life. Let me know what has made you life full of joy!

~Scarlett

1 comment:

Life As I Know It said...

Amen! I'm right there with you. I was just telling my mom today that I feel overwhelmed with my "abundant" life. Even with my kids being sick, I take joy in the fact that I have them in my life. It is truly being with the ones that you love. Thanks for the reminder.