Saturday, February 2, 2008

Homesick

I am feeling a little homesick today. It is funny how you can live somewhere for over 10 years and still long for home every now and then. I don't know what brought it on, maybe it the endless winter that we seem to be having (we are expecting another 2-4 inches of snow tonight), maybe it was the Wynonna Judd CD that I listened to while running errands today (sometimes I am closet country), I am not sure exactly what it was. I was thinking of home and all the things that I miss. They are simple really...sweet tea, chick-fila, fireflies, the sound of the ocean, somebody saying ya'll, and my mom, oh and my mom's smothered porkchops with mashed potatoes and gravy! That would be so yummy right now. The Northwest is very different from Southern Virginia where I grew up, it is rugged and harsh. We have hot summers and cold winters. We don't have a lot of old things here. I miss seeing plantation houses and old trees. One of my favorite things as a child was playing in the woods behind our house, they seemed so enchanted. I loved driving down the road and having the trees touch over top of you, it looked like a tunnel of trees.
I have adjusted to life in the northwest for the most part, I no longer ask for sweet tea at resturants and have the wait staff look at me like I am speaking a forgein language (although Texas Roadhouse and Cracker Barrel serve sweet tea), I have gotten over not having a chick-fila (the closest one is over 300 miles away), and I will admit that things are a little easier since Krispy Kreme came to town. Every once in a while we go to Cracker Barrel and I get to eat Hush Puppies, green beans (cooked the right way), and drink my sweet tea. Still, there are times that I long for home. Today is one of them. I will get to make a trip home to Virginia this summer and I can't wait. There really is no place like home!

Take care ya'll
Scarlett

3 comments:

Life As I Know It said...

I'm sorry you are feeling homesick. I can now say that I know how that feels. I understand enjoying the place where you live and loving the people around you, but yet it not feeling like HOME. I hope it doesn't last too long. And by the way...I am glad you live here! :0)

Clover said...

Can you believe I've never seen a firefly? Maybe someday when we're old you can take me "home" and show me some. And make me sweet tea. And green beans the right way. :)

~c

scarlett said...

Maybe we should go earlier and we can show Sweet Pea and the little prince as well!