Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Compassion

Wow, it really has been a while since I have posted....sorry, my life has been a little more than hectic lately. I was thinking of all the things I could write about and my head is just spinning. To many thoughts to put down. My heart has been heavy lately probably because of all that has happened in the last week. Work has been a little more than demanding. A co-worker lost her son this week to suicide. He was 21. My heart is broken for her. She has been trying so hard to help him through this depression. Words cannot express how sorry I am for her loss. She was friends with my other friend who lost her son in January. It has been very difficult the past few weeks. These two boys with their entire lives ahead of them, they had so much going for them. They didn't come from broken homes, drug use, or dysfunctional families. They suffered though. They struggled with demons within. Things that their friends and family could not help them with. It seems so senseless that you can't help but ask God why. I don't really have an answer. I can't tell you why these two women have crossed my path at very crucial times in their lives. They are going through experiences that change you forever. Something so tragic that it redefines you as a person. All I know is that I am learning the gift of compassion. On Friday I sat with my one friend and listened to her try to make sense of her tragedy. On Tuesday I sat next to another friend and held her hand through the funeral while she relived the loss of her own son. It is something that I will never forget and I am not sure why God placed me in that position. I am thankful for these women, for their strength, their ability to get up and continue on. I know that they have no idea the impact they have had on my life. They have taught me to love deeper, to stop and listen, to look at what is really important in life. They have taught me compassion like no other.

~Scarlett

No comments: