Saturday, January 24, 2009

Double Digits


My little man turned 10 today....10! Wow, I know what every mom says...I can hardly believe it. But you know, it is true. I wonder where the time went. You spend the first 5 years wishing they were more independent and that you could get a little free time and then they get in school and you just wonder where the time goes. Now I am the mom of a "tween" and again I wonder how that happened. There is no way I am ready to handle a tween or teen but I said the same thing about a newborn. Now all those diapers and feedings seem like a breeze compared to questions about life. You know those questions that you really pause before you answer because it really matters what you say. You can't get away with those simple answers that you gave a two. I mean what do you say when he asks what meth is and why do people go to jail when they use it. Wow!!! See pause and stop. So I have decided to take it a day at a time like all parents do. I like that he is at an age where he is still safe and with me most of the time but I can tell you those teen years are sneaking up and I am trying my best not to think about it. Breaks my heart a little. That same heart that breaks just a little as he gets older and more independent swells a little with pride when I think of the boy that he has become. He is kind, funny, smart, friendly, and helpful. He has values and a strong sense of right and wrong. He is a leader. That strong will that I battled at age 3 is now paying off a little. He knows his mind and is not afraid to stand for what he thinks. I pray that he will continue to grow and keep true to himself and what he believes. So to my little man I say...Happy Birthday!