Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Salvaging Christmas

Well, we are stuck in Boise that is. I was supposed to be in Virginia right now, hanging with my family and getting ready for Christmas. It would have been the first time we were all together for Christmas in 14 years. Yeah, it was a big one. We are here though. So now I am having to salvage Christmas. I know this will be funny one day. Not so funny now although I am trying to laugh and I have had several conversations with God about this one. We were all checked in yesterday and putting the kids to bed since we were going to have an early morning. That is when the mister checked the flight status and there it was.....cancelled. Great. So we call Alaska and they tell us it is our flight out of Boise that is causing the problem. We could get out of Seattle. Hmm...do we try to drive to Seattle. It is 9pm, snowing hard, and it is a 10 hour drive to Seattle. The mister calls back and asks about Salt Lake, LA, Portland, anywhere...nothing. Dec 27th is the earliest we can leave. Okay I guess we will take what we can get. Then we decide well let's try to drive. Alaska calls back about our flight on the 27th, I tell the girl that we are going to drive so we will fly out tomorrow. She says Oh no. She had cancelled our flight for the 23rd. Okay, I guess we are going nowhere. Now being the efficient girl that I am, I had already taken down the tree, packed away all the decorations and shipped all the gifts FedEx....even the Santa gifts. What now?! So the mister calls FedEx and gives them our sob story...the gifts will be here tomorrow. Just in time for Christmas eve. Since I was heading out of town we had no groceries...nothing...no milk, no eggs, no cheese, no bread...you get the picture. So I had to brave Walmart and Costco 2 days before Christmas. Fun Fun! Now I am home sitting by my fire trying to figure out what just happened. I am salvaging Christmas. It will be fine. We will be fine. I will spend Christmas with my family. It may be on the 28th but we will still be together and this Christmas will go down in the history books for us.

~Scarlett

1 comment:

Life As I Know It said...

I am so sorry. What a disappointment. I hope you will still have a great Christmas, even though it will belated. Merry Christmas!