Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Can't Be Tamed

Oh Miss Miley, what has happened? Hannah is to embarrassed to make an appearance at this point. I get it girl, I understand that being a pop star princess on the Disney Channel can be the kiss of death. You might never get a serious role and your music might forever ring out on Radio Disney. You want to break free from screaming 8 year olds but sister don't sell your soul. After that performance on Dancing with the Stars moms every where are gathering all that purple Hannah gear and heading to the Goodwill. It will gather dust on shelves along with the other Disney Pop Princesses gone wild. We all thought that maybe you would rise above, maybe you would be able to have the best of both worlds. We were hoping you would be the one that would be a role model for our girls breaking away from the ideal that sex sells and seventeen year olds don't need to march around in hooker books proclaiming how the man in their life can't tame them. You scream out don't change me but I can honestly say I don't even recognize who you are. Oh and Billy Ray someone ought to stomp on your achy breaky heart for letting your little girl march around like that! (the music video is more appalling than DWTS). Now I know there are some out there that will say she didn't ask to be a role model for young girls, really, then why did you star in a show targeting young girls, and that she has the right to break free and move on. Yeah I know, it just breaks my heart that breaking free and moving on means leaving behind all things wholesome and innocent. It means transforming into something that you are not. It means being sexing and singing about relationships that you have yet to experience. It means that most of your fans can no longer watch your music videos because they are PG-13. It means conforming to the world's standard of what a woman should look and act like. Oh how I was hoping you would break that mold that you would stand up and say NO! I guess that is a lot to ask of a 17 year old girl especially with the pressures of Hollywood wanting to make a buck by sacrificing you on the alter of fame and fortune. Oh girl how I wish we could have a conversation. I wish you could have had all those moms out there that are screaming don't do it, it's not worth it, you deserve more, you are better than that, right there with you when they asked you to make this video. You might have thought twice. So to all those screaming moms out there what do we do now? We have yet another pop princess sending our girls the message that the way to make it in this world is be sexy, be spoiled, and go through men like money. Wow makes our lives so much easier!




*sorry 2 rants in one day. I told you God was making me less naive. I have another post in the back of my mind but I will save it for another day. I am seriously considering starting a blog dedicated to parenting in this crazy world. We will see. It has been on my heart lately.


No comments: